Thursday, March 8, 2007

The greatest idea in the history of the world…of warcraft.


It’s Massachusetts State Hockey Tournament time which means I’ve been uber busy and haven’t had a chance to comment on all the Spring Training action or the Patriots free agency.

Well, kind of a lot has happened in the last week. I haven’t had a chance to watch any of the spring training games, with the exception of a few innings of a Yankees, Tigers game. I did see some video of Dice-K, he looks good so far and on top of that Hanley Ramirez (who was all lined up to be my next favorite Red Sox) said he was nasty and threw too hard. Han-Ram was the NL Rookie of the Year by the way.

I don’t want to put too much stock in his TUP (tremendous upside potential…a la Bill Simmons) but he was legit in the World Baseball Classic, he was legit in Japan and now Curt Schilling says he is legit. And that brings me to the focal point of this post. I know there’s a lot going on right now, I’ll get to that, but Curt Schilling has a blog.

Yep. It’s the truth good ole G38 has entered the world of blogging. If you think about it, this move makes a ton of sense coming from Schilling. Bloggers have a stereotype of living in their parents basement and Schilling is a known computer gamer. Guy loves World of Warcraft, Everquest and the likes, he’s perfect for a blog.

A lot of people hate on Schilling for speaking his mind and being a “blowhard” but can you really get mad if that’s what he writes about in his blog…isn’t that what blogs are for, to write about what you think? There already are a lot of people hating on Schilling for his blog. People seem to think that because he’s a baseball player he should stick to baseball and that’s it, but the guy has other interests I’m sure. And what makes anyone else anymore qualified to have a blog over anyone else.

Some people might have better or more entertaining blogs but I’d say Schilling is more qualified to write about baseball than I am but you know what I like baseball so I want to write about it some people might like it, others will no doubt think I am an idiot but that’s what this is all about.

Now if his 38pitches blog turns out to be him yammering on about politics or religion or online multiplayer video gaming I probably won’t read it, because I don’t really care what his take on that stuff is.

I personally think he is on to something here, if his blog provides insight into the thoughts of a major league pitcher…the premier pitcher on my favorite team even then it has the potential to be an awesome resource for fans. So far his blog has been exactly that…a space with his thoughts and feeling on baseball, he even said right off the bat that his opinion are his opinions and they can be wrong.

His first post was a good intro but if his second post is any indication of what is to come we could not only have great ‘from the horses mouth’ (so to speak) insight on the Red Sox and Curt Schilling but it could be open the door for more players to do similar things.

Schilling is not one to shy away from talking, that is no secret, he’s a regular on WEEI and on Sons of Sam Horn (Gehrig38) so something like this isn’t really that much of a surprise but I am a little bit excited to see where he takes this.

His first real post, entitled Spring Training 2007 was great. It’s up at 38pitches.com right now and you should check it out (after you read this of course). In the spring training post he takes you through his starts and lets you know how and what he was feeling. It’s pretty cool to be able to hear what was going through his mind on the mound and see that he’s not fully comfortable with some of his pitches yet, while he is set with others.

I found it very interesting to read about a situation wear Varitek called for a fastball but Schilling didn’t want to throw it so he tried to shake Tek off but the Captain insisted so he threw it but Schill didn’t have it in his head that he could throw that pitch in that spot with confidence and it got crushed. I don’t think he threw Tek under the bus as much as he was just saying that the pitch got crushed because he threw it without confidence. I think that insight like that is great and it could add another dynamic to following the Sox. I don’t want to rehash the whole post but I found that part of particular interest.

Possibly the best part about Schilling’s blog is the fact that he enabled comments...so you can rip him if you so chose (as long as you use clean language) I can’t wait until he responds to a commenter with “Any dungeon master worth his weight in geldings…” No matter what your thoughts on Schilling are you have to admit the idea of his blog is a pretty cool one.

Check it out – 38pitches

No comments: